Photo Credit: Yekemi Otaru
Model: Tonitse Otaru aged 8 as “Break dancing skeleton”
Somehow, I don’t get Halloween. It’s a whole cultural movement that I totally missed while growing up. I don’t enjoy horror movies and I don’t like being scared shitless. But I like fashion and dressing up. So Halloween makes me think about fashion. I think “make-up”, “colours”, “outfits” etc.
Photo from American Live Wire
In fact, I’ve been thinking about starting a fashion blog. I think I’d really enjoy it. To see what good fashion blogs are out there and what they offer, I went to the Top 20 blogs as nominated by LOOK magazine. These are few of my favourites:
Let me know what you think about these blogs in the comments and if you have any tips, idea, dos amd don’ts for me, please let me have it! :-)
- What the World of Fashion Blogging Has Taught Me (michellepimmblogs.com)
When I’m tired and weary, strength comes from the oddest places. I have spoken in pictures more than words in recent months so it seems appropriate that I “show” you rather than tell you how I get up… Indeed, there are times when I’m knocked down. The trick is not to get knocked out.
1. I believe in God, the universe, in time, in space and that everything happens for a reason…. Somehow, this helps me get up because there’s hope.
2. The darkness and the tunnel do not go on forever. There were times when I think, “this is too hard… ” But I see light at the end of the tunnel. To see the light, I have to get up!
3. Ultimately, I have an alter ego that really kicks ass. Sometimes, she comes on the scene late but she does bring it when she comes. I’ve learned to be a tiny bit more patient with myself. Also, the solution we seek may not be the solution we get…but it’s still a solution and things work out.
In the Day
Photo Credits: Yekemi Otaru
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Horizon (andrefromholland.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Horizon (dailypost.wordpress.com)
- Weekly photo challenge: horizons (jrsyjueco.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Horizon (lucidgypsy.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Horizon (lifeconfusions.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Horizon (cloudedclearly.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Horizon (photodayblog.wordpress.com)
Photo Credit: Ede & Ravenscroft Photography, Cambridge, UK
I almost forgot about 3 years of my life. I hardly remembered my fierce determination and obvious persistence. In the past year since completing my 3-year MBA (Master of Business Administration), I’ve faced small and medium challenges like starting a new job in a new company, finding my place in a new group, rekindling old friendships and making new ones. I was often worried about how I would cope or if I would survive. Indeed, I had almost forgotten what I could achieve if I set my mind to it.
It was last Friday, 18th October when I attend my MBA graduation ceremony that it hit me unexpectedly as I saw my classmates, many of which became friends of mine. They will be unforgettable because they taught me more than business.
I don’t know where strength came from. It often felt like there was a pipe pumping energy into my veins at high speed. I had low points when I thought I couldn’t continue, that the demands I had of myself were too high. But I was unable to accept that state for long. Looking back, I’m grateful for those low points as they helped me refuel. I’ve learnt to appreciate the stillness instead of panicking in the silence. I’ve learnt over time not to forget to be kind to myself in the excitement – to remain unforgettable in the process. Even as I shake the hand of the Vice Chancellor, I don’t think I fully got it. Hopefully someday, I will.